On the Blog:
- Sharing this carrot detox juice recipe
- Talking Barre3 All In and Healthy Eating Intentions
- Black & White pattern mixing and athleisure favs
Around the Web:
- How gorgeous is Pure Joy Home’s home office reveal?
- As always, Lauren Conrad’s monthly style tips are on point
- I’m going to have to work my way through Hello Glow’s top food posts of 2016
- Rainy day outfit gear
- Cozy winter wear + beanies
- New Year’s Resolution friendly recipes
- My J.Crew top featured on Tuesday is now on sale and an additional 40% off with code SHOPNOW through Sunday!
- Joie is offering an additional 40% off sale with code EXTRA40 and there are still some great items! Their kidmore sneaker is less than $80 and I’m also loving these clogs and these wedges.
- Anthropologie is offering an additional 40% off sale items. This open shoulder top would make a great transitional piece and this robe and this faux fur cowl look super cozy.
Have a wonderful weekend!
This week has been all about fitness + health goals and living more intentionally in the new year. Health and fitness are both extremely important to me, but I know how easy it is to lose motivation once we get a few weeks into January. My favorite motivator? New workout clothes!
Besides walking, I do all of my workouts in my home office or living room, but still, taking the time to put together a cute workout outfit and laying it out the night before makes me excited to work out and eliminates excuses every time. I’m sure the cats appreciate it! (insert eye roll emoji).
Here are a few items I either have or am in love with if you’re looking for a little extra motivation:
Linking Up with Mix and Match Fashion
On Monday, I mentioned that I was starting Barre3 All In this week as a way to recommit to my health + exercise + food intentions. If you’ve followed along with this blog for awhile, you’ll know that I do Barre3, a barre + pilates + yoga combo, as my primary method of exercising. I love that Barre3 focuses on holistic health instead of a primary focus on outward appearance like a lot of exercise programs do, though the results are a definite benefit!
A few months ago, Barre3 also added new 30 minute weekly workouts which was a game changer in terms of motivation for me. I’ve always loved group workouts–spin, body combat, etc–but don’t live near an actual Barre3 studio, so I had to rely on internal motivation to do a workout that I’d done many times before. In addition to the new weekly workouts, there is also a discussion board section under every video where you can connect with other likeminded people and the trainers themselves.
With B3 All In, you get even more community support and a weekly workout + recipe plan. Since I’ve done the program a few times before, I’m tweaking the food requirements a bit to fit with my lifestyle and current commitments. Here’s what I’m pledging to do for the next 4 weeks:
- Complete 4 60 minute and 3 30 minute Barre3 workouts per week + an additional 10 minute video at some point throughout each day
- Cutting out: refined sugar + dairy + refined grains
- Minimizing: alcohol (1 glass of red wine 2x/week) + coffee (1 cup 2x/week)
- Adding: greens to every meal
I hope this will help me kick off my healthiest year yet + live more intentionally!
*This is not an advertisement, I just love Barre3!
I admit, I struggle putting real clothes on in the winter, especially when it’s really cold outside. Fleece lined leggings? Uggs? That’s an outfit, right? But since I do actually have to look somewhat presentable for work, I’ve been searching for inspiration for outfits I still love and that still keep me warm and cozy, or allow for layering for the elements.
I also don’t wear a lot of black, but the black & white pattern mixing in this outfit is by far one of my favs. I picked up this coat from the Talbot’s sale rack a few years ago and am so glad I did–it instantly elevates any outfit!
This top is one of those that I loved online and on other people, but I had doubts it would work with my broad shoulders. However, I think since the ruffle is just an inch or so lower than my actual shoulder line, it somehow doesn’t make me look any broader than I am. I also love its subtle feminine detailing, especially paired with the harder elements in this look, but also think it would look great paired with a black pencil skirt for a work outfit.
What keeps you inspired to try new looks during winter?
Black & White Top: J.Crew
Black & White Cape: Talbots (~3 years old)
Black Jeans: Ann Taylor via Poshmark (shop my closet here)
Black Bag: Rebecca Minkoff
Black Booties: BCBGeneration
More Black & White Options:
Happy New Year, friends!
I hope you’ve all had an amazing start to 2017! I didn’t really mean to go MIA for the past two weeks, but between traveling to California for the holidays, getting the Christmas stomach flu (as fun as it sounds…), teaching winter session, and getting back to VA with an urge to clean and reorganize each inch of my house, I haven’t found a spare moment to produce anything blogworthy, let along blog. Forgive me?
But now that my house is back in order and I’m forced to stay indoors (it was -7 yesterday morning!), I’m ready to get back at it–plus, I missed you guys!
One of the things I’ve set out to do this year is make more juice at home, even without the help of a juicer. Both my husband and I get packaged green or something other juice every time we go to the grocery store, which can be a little pricey, and plus, I know I can make something similar at home, like with this carrot detox juice.
Speaking of new years resolutions, have you set/started any yet? I’m definitely ready to get back to eating clean after an indulgent holiday season and am kicking that goal off today with Barre3 All In–more details coming later this week!
I’ve also set the following goals for 2017:
- Learn how to do a yoga handstand! I’ve always wanted to learn how to do one, but to be honest, they kind of freak me out. I’ve bookmarked a guide and now just need to get started.
- Eat clean. I’ll go into more details about what this means to me later this week, but I really want to get back to eating more whole foods and reducing my consumption of processed “foods.”
- Live more intentionally. Intention has been one of my favorite words for the last few years, but this year, I want to put it into practice more fully. I’m going to be graduating with my master’s degree in communication in May and though we still don’t know where we’re moving, I want to make sure my new career path is one that really fits me this time and allows me to do all things I love–blogging, eating, writing, exercising–intentionally.
So, to start us off right, here is the carrot detox juice recipe–enjoy!
Carrot Detox Juice
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
11.1 ounces coconut water (1 small carton)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Place all ingredients in a high powered blender and pulse until smooth. Either pour through a fine strainer or cheese cloth, or drink as is.
Time: 5 minutes