Hi everyone! Today, I wanted to give you a quick glimpse into how we’re currently grocery shopping in England on a budget. We’ve always tried to budget a specific amount when it comes to grocery shopping, but since I’m still searching for a job, we are definitely being even more cautious with how much we spend.
Luckily, budget grocery shopping in England isn’t too difficult. We’ve been shopping at Tesco, though we also have an Aldi, Sainsbury’s, and Costco nearby, which we have purchased a few items at as well. The first picture is (mostly) what we purchased for groceries this week, though since we have to walk back and forth to the grocery store, Jeff took a few of the non-perishables with him to campus so I wouldn’t have to carry everything back on my own.
What I’m Loving about Grocery Shopping in England – The prices and the quality! We’re not buying organic produce at the moment but the great thing about England is that everything is grown and produced locally since the country isn’t really very big and they don’t seem to import much! I can also find most of what we typically purchase in the US too, with some tweaks. The ingredients in packaged food are way better too – packaged chips (like above) only have basic ingredients like potatoes, salt, and oil.
What I’m Getting Used to about Grocery Shopping in England – The amount of plastic. Do we really need to shrink wrap the broccoli and put the apples in plastic bags? Also, since food has less preservatives, it expires much more rapidly so we’ve had to be careful about checking expiration dates and then buying smaller quantities as well. It helps that our fridge is much smaller than an American fridge so we can’t really store much anyway.
Overall, we’re really trying to take a simple approach to food here – no fancy ingredients and adapting our traditional go-to recipes to make use of what we have instead of purchasing new ingredients. It may not make for new blog recipes, but we are more than satisfied with what we’ve been cooking otherwise!
Here is what was on the meal plan this week:
- One pot roasted chicken thighs with veggies (leftover frozen chicken from last week) – similar recipe
- Pasta with veggies and chicken sausage (leftover/frozen from Costco) – similar recipe
- Soba noodle bowls (I found soba noodles at a speciality Asian market. Also, I’ve been saving all of our random veggie ends/meat bones and placing them in a ziploc bag in the freezer to make homemade broth once a week). – similar recipe
- Brown rice and broccoli bowls with chicken and peanut sauce – similar recipe (peanut sauce) & similar recipe (bowls)
- Enchiladas (I have to make refrieds from scratch – they don’t sell them here!) – similar recipe
I’m sure this will adapt more as we find new favorite items but it’s working for now!