Favorites posts have always been one of my favs and since its been almost a YEAR since I’ve shared one, I thought we’d kick off with a round-up of some of the things that have gotten me through this ordeal the last few months.
Hope you enjoy!
1. Spoonk Mat. My parents got me this Spoonk mat for Christmas, and I am obsessed with it. According to their website,
Spoonk is based on the principles of acupressure and Japanese Shiatsu massage. The mat stimulates specific reflex points throughout the body, releases blocked energy, eases tense muscles, and creates deep mental and physical relaxation. Benefits include increased level of energy, reduced inflammation and pain, improved and deeper sleep.
I like to use it rolled up on my neck to relieve some of the pressure after yoga or one of my chiropractic sessions. It also feels great on your back when you’re lying down or on your feet after a hard workout. I totally feel simultaneously more relaxed and more energized after it. Plus, it was one of Oprah’s favorite things!
2. UCLA Guided Meditation Website. My neurologist recommended this website as a way to help my mind relax back when I first saw her in October. Since then, I do at least the five minute breathing meditation daily and often the full breath, body, and sound meditation. The audio instructions are easy to follow and perfect for beginners. Plus, I have incorporated some of the mantras she employs into my morning yoga practice as a way of starting out the day mindfully and hopefully.
3. Barre3 Challenge. When it became clear that returning to work as planned January 1st was not an option, I was looking for something to help push me to start off the new year in the right mindset. And the Barre3 Challenge was just what I needed. I committed to four hour long workouts a week plus a few ten minute workouts on my “off” days. I also recommitted to eating healthily and making Barre3 “approved” recipes. And I loved every second of it! I think it really helped jumpstart my return to exercising–and my body has never been more toned or my core stronger in my life! The summer Barre3 Anywhere Challenge kicked off yesterday, and I can’t wait to participate in my second challenge and see even more results!
4. Bossypants by Tina Fey Audiobook. Since my concussion, I’ve listened to a lot of audiobooks and have really enjoyed the ones that make listening feel like an experience and not just listening to someone read a book aloud. Tina Fey narrates this herself and the resulting interjections, audio clips, and voices make this a hilarious and insightful listen.
5. Trader Joe’s Just Mango Slices. I received mango slices in one of our monthly nature box’s and fell in love, so I was so thrilled to find these in the dried fruit section at Trader Joe’s. You have to pay a dollar more to get less ingredients, but it is so worth it–they make a perfect snack!
6. Trader Joe’s Whole Milk Honey Greek Yogurt. Ever since I switched to whole milk yogurt, I’ve been looking for its creamy greek counterpart. And Trader Joe’s finally released one! While its not organic, it is one of the most decadent things I’ve ever tasted, and I love adding it to my smoothies every morning.
7. My Kitten. Pip has been one of the best things about having to take a break from work–I love getting to spend everyday with him! He has such a different personality than Padfoot and lives to eat, just like his mama! Padfoot and he are still not getting along all that well, but I’m hoping that once he grows out of his hyper kitten energy, things might get better.
Well, that’s it folk! Anything you’ve become obsessed with while I’ve been away?