I’ve been dying to do this project since before Christmas, but couldn’t find all of the necessary items until last weekend. While browsing one of my favorite discount online home flash sale sites, I came across the most adorable neon bookends. But at $40 for two, it still wasn’t a splurge I was willing to make. I kept seeing the same bookends pop up over and over again on other sites and until I decided that if I couldn’t justify the purchase price, I was going to make them myself. Good plan, right?
The reason I wanted to make bookends was because I have all of my lovely cookbooks lined up in a row in the kitchen on a tall shelf. But cookbooks are pretty gosh darn heavy and the measly candle I have supporting them right now is a disaster waiting to happen. In fact, it’s already been a disaster as one of the candles, in a delicate glass container, of course, came shattering down one day and like a genius, I replaced it with a second, just as delicate candle. Do you see the necessity of this?
My inspiration bookends were essentially two large animals sitting on top of a large rectangular object all painted the same glowing color, so I decided to break it down into parts: if I could find two decent looking, similar animals then I could just glue them on some wood blocks and paint. Go!
I searched and searched antique and thrift stores for the perfect animals to no avail and then took the search to the internet. I cam across these adorable little goats on sale in an Etsy shop for $10 and immediately snatched them up. It was a little bit more expensive than I had originally intended, but I decided they were worth it.
This weekend, I assembled the remaining items:
- 2 wooden recipe boxes, Michaels, $10 for both
- 1 can Global Blue glossy spray pain, $6
- Tacky Glue, already had
With the goats, that brings the total of this project to $26. I was only hoping to spend about $15 total, which I am sure is possible if you have more patience then me or have better thrift stores.
I then simply laid out the wooden boxes and the goats and got to spray painting. The key to spray painting is to apply it in many, many thin layers. I know it is tempting to get it all done in one or two coats, but that just isn’t going to happen without a drippy mess. All in all, the wooden boxes took about 10 coats to reach the desired color/glossy-ness and the goats took about 5 because they already had a glossy finish.
Once I let them dry over night, I applied the tacky glue to the goat’s little fit and glued them in the center of the boxes.
Because the wooden boxes are hollow, this allowed me to fill them with rocks (that I collected from across the street-shh) and make them heavy enough to be actual, functional bookends.
And now I can live without fear of my cookbooks sending everything near them crashing to the ground!