Since we were crazy busy packing and moving last month, it totally slipped my mind to do a July Favorites post! These posts are some of the most fun to write, so I decided to make this month’s a little longer to (hopefully) make up for my total failure last month.
On another note, wednesday was the official 1 month mark of living in Blacksburg! I absolutely cannot believe it’s been that long, but we’ve been having so much fun meeting new people, eating out waay too much, decorating the new space, and DIYing our way to a cozy home. And, of course, then there’s the 3rd job I started this week (which is amazingly food/sugar oriented–hopefully I’ll be able to tell you about it soon!), so I’d say the last month has been plenty busy!
Onto the favs.
1. Oikos Organic Greek Yogurt. I knew organic greek yogurt had to exist, and I finally found it in our local Blacksburg grocery store! It’s about the same size/price as the small container of Fage and almost as creamy, but if the teeniest bit of creaminess is all I have to sacrifice to still combine organic + my obsession with greek yogurt, I’d say that’s a pretty fair trade.
2. Oikos Organic Frozen Greek Yogurt. This frozen yogurt was featured in a recent edition of Real Simple Magazine, and I knew I had to find it. It actually is what the name says it is: frozen. greek. yogurt. Not processed whey or other additives. I found it in the Whole Foods back home and then was pleasantly surprised to find it here too–score! My favorite flavor in the basic honey, but the blueberry is also delicious. It’s a bit expensive–usually about $4.20 for a pint–so I try to only buy it when there’s a deal or it goes on sale. Plus, the serving size of 1/2 cup only has 110 calories and 0 grams of fat, so you can totally splurge and have an entire cup of ice cream for dessert!
3. Still Living in a Bikable/Walkable Town. This truly is a huge thing for me. I know I was spoiled in SLO, being able to pretty much walk or bike everywhere, but I was ecstatic to learn I can do almost the same thing here. Parking in busy downtowns can be beyond annoying, especially when you’re used to just locking your bike up right in front of where you’re going. We’ll see how the lovely winter weather affects this, but for now, I’m a pretty happy camper! (Plus, since I’m suddenly learning to drive a manual in a town where it feels like every single stop sign and light is at the very TOP of a hill, I need all the bikability that I can get!)
4. Annie’s White Cheddar Bunnies. I’ve had a lifelong obsession with Annie’s products and these white cheddar bunnies are no different. They’re essentially much healthier, cuter goldfish, and I just couldn’t help grabbing a package while browsing the aisles of Target the other day. Now if I could just learn to not eat the entire package in one sitting, I’d be good to go!
5. Grouping Saved Images on my iPad. I know I talk about this a ton, but I’ve fallen absolutely and completely head over heels with doing this. I love reading magazine on my ipad and the fact that I can just take a screenshot and organize it into an album for later reference? Pure genius.
6. Green Mountain Gringo Salsa. Jeff and I used to get this salsa all the time in SLO too, and it has to be one of the best jarred salsas out there. We’re always trying new salsas, fresh or in the jar, searching for the perfect combination of flavor and heat. I almost always buy hot jarred salsa because the medium/medium-hot always seems to be pretty mild in reality. Plus, how do you beat out an ingredient list like this? Ripe Tomatoes, Fresh Jalapeño Peppers, Fresh Onions, Fresh Tomatillos, Fresh Serrano Peppers, Apple Cider Vinegar, Fresh Cilantro, Fresh Parsley, Fresh Garlic, Sea Salt, Spices.
Goodbye August, hello September!