Yep, more quinoa–I really can’t get enough of this stuff! This recipe is a combination of other meals I’ve shared before, like this dinner and this lunch, but it turned out so yummy, I think it deserves it’s own spot on the blog. As I’ve probably said many times before, I love quinoa because it’s so easy to make, adds great flavor, and can act as a great meat substitute in a meal. Of course, I added chicken sausage to it this time (as per Jeff’s request, of course), so I guess it wasn’t really serving as a substitute this time!
The melty, creamy goodness of the goat cheese is what makes this meal extra special. When combined with the quinoa mixture, it simply melts and melds with the dish so well that every bite has a hint of cheesy flavor. Plus, it makes for a great lunch the next day. You could even place it in pita bread or a tortilla, or serve it on top of lettuce for a quinoa salad if you want to mix it up a bit!
Quinoa with Chicken Sausage, Broccoli, and Goat Cheese Recipe
1 cup quinoa, uncooked
2 cups broccoli, chopped
2 chicken sausages
1/4 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup goat cheese
1/4 teaspoon cumin
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
1. Cook quinoa according to package instructions. Remove from pot and place in large bowl.
2. While the quinoa cooks, heat olive oil in a medium skillet. Add onions and garlic and cook for about 1-2 minutes.
3. Add chicken sausage to onions and garlic and cook until done, about 4 minutes on each side. Remove sausage from pan and cut into 1/2 inch rounds. Add to bowl with quinoa (with the onions and garlic).
4. Add broccoli, cumin, salt, and pepper to quinoa/sausage mixture and stir well.
5. Stir in goat cheese and combine, adding a bit more if necessary (the goat cheese may clump together in certain spots so be sure to mix well).
I think I might have to make a dedicated quinoa recipes section, what do you think?